Monday, November 30, 2009

Of a Certain Age

I've been adjusting to being the mother of older children; there are no babies in my house, no babies to come either. There are no toddlers. All of my children are potty trained (Thank you Lord!). I only have school aged children. In fact, I'm only two years away from having a teenager, which, in parenting years, is really only a heartbeat.

But I'm growing and accepting and I'm even finding glorious benefits.

Not only can they each pee independently and wipe their own butts, they can get their own snacks and even make a few simple meals.

They can answer questions about their day (occasionally even more than just a grunt - boys start training so young!).

Last week Q and Eliza came home from church talking about their lesson, which had been all about prayer and fasting. Their were both quite excited about this new power particularly since it seemed to be something that was in their power to affect.

Q has requested that we fast next week for their dad and his bad back. He also wants us to fast and pray for people with breast cancer and that "they" find a cure. (I'm not sure what all the lesson talked about, but Q has been obsessed with helping people with breast cancer and he includes them in all of his prayers that he offers.)

One of our dear neighbors got sick and Eliza requested that we fast this past Sunday for her. And for dad. It was a wonderful thing to see. Living out their ideals was a bit harder than they imagined (we fasted for one meal) and there were quite a few discussions as to what we would be eating after church, but overall it was a good start: child led and everyone wants to do it again.

Of course, added to these wonderful, spiritual breakthroughs are also the ever extending length my boys take in the bathroom; does 8 seem a bit young to be primping and worrying over hair?

No comments:

Post a Comment