Friday, September 30, 2011

Magic of Ordinary Days

I've been watching the Hallmark channel. A lot. It seems to be one of the few places left on TV where I can find generally clean shows. (I've had to delete even a few Hallmark movies because of questionable activities.) One of the shows had the above title and the movie was, "Meh," good at times, boring at others but didn't leave me filled with a sense of, "Why did I just waste 1.5 hours of my life that I'll never get back?!"

The point - the movie title, combined with Kari's comment here, combined with an article I read once somewhere on the internet (meaning no link) about how as a SAHM, every time my children say, "Mom!" is the same as the bells at a monastery calling the monks to prayer or to life devoted to God all add up to the idea that it is in the ordinariness and monotony of days that I find the true brilliance and miracle of life.

Granted, beyond the general idea, I don't see it much.

While I've gotten to the point in my life that I've surrendered to the idea that there will always be more laundry to wash and that I need to buy food even though it just becomes poo, I still have a hard time finding joy and opportunity and miracles in the service.


I have an even harder time finding the humor in these moments.

But I was thinking that the exercise of trying to blog more of daily life instead of deep thoughts *might* (I have some skepticism here) lighten me up a bit and just *might* improve my writing skills.

To that end, may I just say that my 10yo made dinner last night? I had to drive some errands for the business so he got dinner started with a few instructions over the phone: rice in the rice cooker; canned green beans heated in the microwave; and chicken boiled in 1/2 c. of soy sauce and 1/2 c. of apple cider vinegar. Nothing fancy. Nothing gourmet. But I didn't have to lift a finger to make dinner.

Priceless.

4 comments:

  1. That story is very interesting... did the can go into the microwave with the green beans? I think there are some details left out, such as, "what shall we now do with the house insurance windfall?" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I had a titillating [that's not a dirty word, BTW) day - I went to school/work, had a doctor's appointment and got a haircut. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Titillating? (I know that's not a bad word. It's a great word to just throw out there!) I'm not sure you're using that word properly. Was the hairdresser extra cute? Did he blow on your neck? Was the doctor's visit one of *those* visits? I think that would make it all very titillating....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky! Sounds like I need to get my 10 year old on the ball.

    ReplyDelete